Find your EIN

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text disable_pattern=”true” align=”left” margin_bottom=”0″]If you can’t remember your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or you misplaced the paperwork associated with it, there are a few ways to find it out.  The EIN is also know as the business Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Federal Tax Number.  Your EIN is the social security number for your business.  It is used to open bank and brokerage accounts.  The EIN is used to report payroll and independent contractors.  Vendors and customers may need your EIN in order to do business with you.

So, what do you do when you can’t find it?  Try these steps:

  1. Contact your bank or broker.  The EIN was needed to open the accounts.
  2. Review early start-up documents for any mention of the EIN.
  3. Contact your attorney or tax professional to see if they have it on record.
  4. Review copies of payroll forms filed.  The federal forms will have your EIN, and the state forms will have your state employer ID number.
  5. Contact vendors or customers that may have been the EIN in the course of opening accounts.
  6. Your business licensing or state licensing authority should have your EIN.
  7. If all else fails, you can call the IRS……. The IRS has a special line just for businesses and organizations.  The Business & Specialty Tax Line 800-829-4933 is available Monday – Friday, 7am – 10am.  They will ask questions about the business in order to verify that you are authorized to inquire on behalf of the business.  You must be an owner, partner, member, corporate officer, director, authorized power of attorney holder, etc.  The wait will set you back a morning, and that makes calling the IRS your last resort.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top